What to expect during your pet’s routine check-up
Just like in annual exams for humans, routine check-ups are an essential part of maintaining your pet’s overall health and wellness. While your pet’s exam components are different from what occurs during an annual exam for a person, the underlying concepts are the same. Getting routine preventive care is one of the easiest ways to stop illness before it starts. Identifying potential issues at their earliest stages can help prevent minor problems from becoming more painful and costly than necessary. At San Marco Animal Hospital, we provide comprehensive preventive care for pet families in Jacksonville, Florida. Read on to learn more about what to expect during your pet’s routine check-up.
Key components of a pet check-up
Your pet’s routine wellness exam is carefully planned and includes several components designed to evaluate your pet’s current health and prevent them from developing common diseases. During your pet’s examination, we will:
- Ask you about your pet’s diet, exercise, and other habits to get an understanding of their overall lifestyle.
- Perform a physical examination of your pet, including a close evaluation of any potential areas of concern that we have noticed or that you have identified.
- Answer any concerns you have about taking care of your pet or their recommended veterinary care plan.
- Evaluate your pet for parasites (and heartworms in dogs).
- Perform routine blood testing to ensure your dog’s liver, kidneys, and other organs are functioning optimally.
- Give your pet any recommended vaccinations that are due.
If any potential problems are identified during your pet’s check-up, we will provide you with recommendations for the next steps. We use a shared decision-making approach and are happy to discuss the pros and cons of your pet’s treatment options so you can make an informed, confident decision for your pet.
Pet check-ups near me
If you live in Jacksonville, Florida and have been looking for a veterinarian to whom you can entrust your pet’s care, the team at San Marco Animal Hospital is here to help. We provide friendly, compassionate care and offer pet wellness plans to help fit your pet’s preventive care into your budget. To schedule an appointment, call us at 904-516-9767 or text us at (904) 352-2559 today !