Receive quality veterinary care when you need it at emergency animal hospital in Jacksonville
At San Marco Animal Hospital in Jacksonville, FL, we are committed to comprehensive pet care. That’s why we are proud to offer emergency animal hospital services. We know that issues with our beloved pets don’t always occur during “regular business hours” which is why our staff is prepared to offer quality care whenever emergencies strike.
Is it an emergency?
Pets can’t talk, which can make it difficult to determine if they are having an emergency. You are always welcome to call our office if you are unsure and our knowledgeable staff will be able to let you know quickly whether your pet needs emergency medical care.
Below, we outline a list of problems that can have serious consequence and require prompt attention.
Symptoms that of an emergency that require immediate veterinary care:
- Raspy breath, difficulty breathing, blue tongue
- Distended or swollen abdomen
- Inability to defecate or urinate (especially with straining)
- Trauma such as falling, blunt force, fight with another animal, or being hit by a car
- Ingestion of a toxin (common ones include chocolate, grapes, rat poison, prescription medications, nicotine, xylitol, household cleaners) Make sure to bring the container with you so we can determine exactly what was ingested.
- Ingestion of objects that aren’t meant to be ingested (toys, small objects, socks, etc.)
- Inability to walk or stand, loss of consciousness, or seizure activity
- Not eating or drinking in a 24-hour period
- Snake bites
- Gunshot or other laceration
- Bleeding that will not stop
- Blood in vomit or diarrhea (blood can appear dark red, bright red or black/tarry in color)
- Heat stroke (weakness, heavy panting, body temperature greater than 104 degrees)
When faced with an emergency, don’t delay contacting us
If you are heading into our office with a pet emergency, feel free to call ahead to let us know the symptoms, pet’s breed, age, sex and any other information that we need to know. When you arrive at the office, our trained staff will be ready to provide on-site diagnostics and begin administering the appropriate treatment. We offer in-house lab and radiography services to allow us to assess your pet quickly.
We’re here when you need us
At San Marco Animal Hospital in Jacksonville, FL, we know how special your pet is, which is why we are committed to becoming your partner in their healthcare. Emergency animal services are just one way we make sure that we can address the unique needs of each pet. In addition to emergency care, we are a full-service animal hospital offering a wide range of services such as puppy care, vaccinations, spaying and neutering, microchipping, dental care, and end of life care. We want you to rest easy knowing that your pet is in good hands.
The most important thing to do in a pet emergency is to remain calm and reach out to us as quickly as possible for guidance. Our office is located at 1546 San Marco Blvd. Jacksonville, FL 32207. We can be reached by phone at 904-516-9767.