Recommended preventive care services for your pet
Because cats and dogs age faster than humans do, regular preventive care is vital to ensuring that they can enjoy good health for as long as possible. Routine preventative care guidelines are designed to prevent not only avoidable diseases and unnecessary pain for your pet but also detect potential problems at the earliest stage possible when they are easier and less expensive to treat. At San Marco Animal Hospital in Jacksonville, Florida, preventive care is at the heart of our veterinary practice. We offer a comprehensive array of preventive services for cats, dogs, and other pets.
Preventive care tailored to your pet’s unique needs
No two people are exactly alike, and the same rule applies to pets too! At San Marco Animal Hospital, we provide preventive care services customized to meet your pet’s specific needs. That includes all the routine guideline-based care services, in addition to other options that may be appropriate for your pet based on your family’s lifestyle. We take the time to get to know you and your pet, asking questions that will help us recommend the ideal treatment plan for their unique needs. Examples of preventive pet services that we may recommend, include:
- Routine examinations, which are recommended at least once per year and more frequently for pets who are older or who have chronic medical problems
- Annual vaccinations, including both core vaccines recommended for every pet and optional vaccines that may be needed if you board your pet or they enjoy a lot of time outdoors
- Parasite testing to ensure that your pet is not harboring any parasites that could potentially cause health problems or be passed on to your family
- Blood work to establish baseline values for your pet and monitor any changes over time, which enable us to detect issues such as liver disease, diabetes, kidney disease, and more at an early stage
- Dental cleanings, which are just as important for pets as they are for humans to prevent oral health problems such as tooth decay and gum disease
- Spaying and neutering help with population control and put your pet at a lower risk of certain medical conditions.
- Microchipping to help locate your pet’s home if they should become lost
Additionally, we offer nail grinding and clipping services, anal sac expression, and ear cleaning, which help prevent pain and infection.